Horizon: Zero Dawn

Pirate the Epic version, that won’t have compatibility issues.

Perfect works ! :slight_smile:

hello is there somewhere private to ask something so i dont look so stupid lol

now i have all done and got the .ini but cant run in fullscreen :smiley: borderless works but fullscreen i have the windows bar on top and if i try to change in .ini i got crash

Meh, nobody cares – feel free to ask whatever you want here.

The one minor rule that we have is that support isn’t really given or bothered with illegitimate copies due to their nature, so if it’s a question related to that you’ll probably get a minor dismissal or asked to look up support elsewhere.

It can be a bit hit or miss. What you can do is temporarily rename the dxgi.dll to something else (I usually just add an unscore at the end so it’s called dxgi.dll_ instead) and then restart the game and configure it as you want. When the game is configured properly in its own settings you can remove or clear out dxgi.ini (the config file of Special K), and maybe add the parameters you want back to the file, and then rename dxgi.dll back and start the game again.

That will essentially recreate Special K’s config file using the default parameters while, hopefully, respecting the state of the game.

Ok thanks but still, even if i make a clean instal of the SKIF, it says nothing on the “INJECTION STRATEGY” or “Config File”. it says N/A. I dont know what to do.

And yes… its the cracked version but i thought maybe it would work somehow, again im new here so i dont know too much about this

wait i actually tried what Paddy did and also works, now, you think if i change the dxgi.ini file with the custom lines given by Kaldaien, it will work? ill give it a try anyway

Sure, it can work, but the problem is that your cracked version is of the Steam copy and so includes a Steam API emulator that ■■■■■ Special K over. It’s why Kaldaien said to pirate the EGS version instead as that won’t have compatibility issues.

You’d basically have to copy SpecialK64.dll over to the game folder and rename it to dxgi.dll and the config file will get created in the game folder instead, and then because it’s a cracked copy you would have to open the config file and set the config parameter Silent=false under [Steam.Log] to true instead, to disable Special K’s Steam features that your cracked copy falls over on.

Hence why it’s basically easy to just use the Epic version instead.

And nothing of this is really supported either, nor do we really want to spend time troubleshooting or supporting issues we can’t reproduce which only affects illegitimate copies. Special K weren’t designed with such copies in mind, and so it falls over when throwing Steam-based illegitimate copies on it. :man_shrugging:

Please understand that if you do not receive any more replies helping you further it’s simply because of the above reason.

1 Like

Yes i totally understand, i mean you already did a lot with everything above, i going on my own from now on. Thank you so much!

Under the steam management display, My config file shows as N/A everything else is exactly like on the screenshot, Not sure what to do next

EDIT:

I also tried copying the specialk64.dll and rename it however still no config file generated. I’ve used Special K with Nier and MHW so my experience is quite limited.

Downloaded special k
Started the game
The ini file does not generate
And in the app says unknown
Help?
Purchased game

Have you launched the game yet after you started the global injection in SKIF ?

And where did you look for the config file after you had copied the DLL file over? If using that approach it should be called dxgi.ini (if you named the DLL file dxgi.dll) and be located in the game folder itself.

Did you start the global injection service through SKIF before launching the game?

Is this something I need to repeat until I get the result I want or am I doing something wrong?

I have exactly the same problem, I get the .ini but the game just won’t go into exclusive fullscreen, I have the windows bar on top.

I followed your tutorial and still got the same results

Set Borderless=true

You don’t want fullscreen exclusive for best frame pacing.

[Steam.Log]
Silent=true

Works fine to start it anyway =)

Thanks for the advice @Aemony but I tried this and unfortunately it didn’t work. For some reason it just won’t launch with the Steam overlay and my mouse/controller don’t work at all when this happens which makes playing impossible. SK works fine for all my other games though so there must be something quirky going on with my system but I am out of ideas at this point. Thanks again for your help.

So, first you say: “Fullscreen Exclusive mode is absolutely necessary for sane framepacing in this game”

Then you say: “You don’t want fullscreen exclusive for best frame pacing.”

I’m sorry but I’m confused :thinking:

I think the games own framerate limiter and frame pacing is what behaves well mostly (only?) under full-screen exclusive display mode but not perfect.

SpecialK drawing on flip model presentation can use it’s own framerate limiter and frame pacing improvements instead which are better.

But the game has limitations on increasing the back buffer count and the default minimum of 2 is a bit too low for optimal results though maybe this will be improved in a future patch for the game. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Flip model is a bit tech heavy but it’s a good thing when supported.

Intel has a good one about it as well.

Better latency as a short sum up among other benefits.

New findings gives new insights.

Initially the 3 back buffers of exclusive fullscreen mode (borderless only use 2) meant that the frame pacing in fullscreen was better than in borderless mode.

Then Kaldaien figured out that waitable swapchains (a feature available to be forced for borderless mode through Special K) was something the game didn’t fall over on and in fact improved the situation immensely.

So now, it seems, the latest findings are that borderless mode + this Special K config is the superior option:

These things are bound to happen with a game that was just released and Kal is investigating.

1 Like

Thanks for the notes about the benchmark and the hard work :slight_smile:
Also thanks to the rest of the ppl here! Made things easier to understand and making things better in a broken HZD port experience.