Baldur's Gate 3

Yeah Linux how is this going again this Mesa or maybe more Wine implement for D3D and NVIDIA / AMD stuff only supports part of NVAPI stubbing the other stuff I think is how it’s done and I don’t know how well it supports the newer builds at all for when you’re not using the “Is a AMD GPU” workaround here.

AMD does a similar thing via AMD ADL for HDR in a few titles but D3D12’s handled by I think VkD3D12 via Mesa and Proton rather than DXVK.

I don’t think Linux HDR has quite become a thing yet either so on the intended target platform this drawback doesn’t hamper as much though extensions for HDR should now exist in Vulkan for when this becomes a thing. :smiley:

EDIT:
Think UE4 in particular goes weird beyond just NVAPI specifics unless that’s been resolved separately, engine does something here that causes problems.

EDIT:
Suppose AMD ADL and the Linux AMD driver stuff being more open source other than some DRM bit for the core kinda helps for AMD’s case.

Although last I knew other than maybe needing to register for a NVIDIA dev account status they too had started opening up more of their data and such.

(Probably both of them have their closed source bits too.)

EDIT: Yeah it is used for HDR stuff.

AGS not ADL I keep mixing up all the various tree and four letter acronyms here. :smiley:

Anyway that little delve into Assorted Gaming Stuff aside suppose it’s tougher on NVIDIA systems with that particular workaround though as the GPU is identified as a AMD one when that’s enabled it’s a bit more of a forceful workaround with additional drawbacks or how to describe it not just hindering NVAPI from loading for the game or just loading what it can skipping the non-supported stuff.

Oh, jeeze… I now have HDR working completely in DXVK. There’s a bug where it only propogates changes to SetColorSpace1(…) after turning VSYNC on/off.

Again, since Linux doesn’t doesn’t support HDR this probably slipped through testing. But I have a different goal in mind here – D3D9 → VK == HDR (on Windows).

1 Like

Can be disabled by creating a dxvk.conf file in the game folder and setting dxgi.nvapiHack to false:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/doitsujin/dxvk/master/dxvk.conf

# Report Nvidia GPUs as AMD GPUs by default. This is enabled by default
# to work around issues with NVAPI, but may cause issues in some games.
#
# Supported values: True, False

# dxgi.nvapiHack = True
1 Like

That’s per profile though unless 1.7.2 already has one for Baldurs Gate 3 here.
No wait…it’s defaulting to true anyway so that’s unimportant.

EDIT: Forgot the config isn’t quite blank or neutral by default for some of the settings.

Yeah, the linked master dxvk.conf file includes all global defaults for DXVK. It gives a good idea of what’s being forced and whatnot.

It is also the only way to force anisotropic in a game using DXVK as Nvidia’s Control Panel’s AF override doesn’t work on DXVK for some reason.

Quick question: Recommended HDR settings for using SK with VLC?

Ah, nice.

That fixed the problem with not getting Mailbox present mode as well. Now frame pacing is behaving the way it is supposed to.

BTW, SK’s framerate limiter doesn’t work with DXVK unless you set the ‘Timing Accuracy’ slider to 100%. Both frameworks have a similar design, and the only way to defeat DXVK is to busy-wait.

Think fast, what’s this key called?

• Tilde
  • Backtick
  • Grave
  • I don’t have that key

0 voters

The answer will probably surprise most users, especially if they ever want to bind an action to that key and the game refers to it by name :wink:

The squiggle?
Don’t know what the name of that reverse high comma is though, or at least I don’t remember it.

All the special characters and the key combinations for them.

EDIT: Keep it simple principle.
The console key. :smiley:

It absolutely is the tilde key, but if you press it, its technically a grave unless you hold shift.

lol, that heatmap of death thing is awesome…

Wonder if they have a performance goal in mind there? It seemed with Divinity: Original Sin, they weren’t happy until there was no way to move anywhere in the game without being killed :slight_smile:

I still cannot believe how difficult Early Access for D:OS was, they went overboard with environmental effects and spells that apply acid, fire, oil, lightning, etc. Before you could cast a spell to clear those environmental effects, your entire party was usually dead :stuck_out_tongue:

I like the one for Dark Souls a user made but it’s always interesting info and more than just some of the fact sheets provided by developers with just numbers but no visuals.

https://twitter.com/driftitem/status/970353015357104128?lang=en

Barrels, barrels everywhere and no where outside of the town was safe but once you started carrying the things around and using them to your advantage these wooden objects of extreme destruction were ridiculously effective.

Think it carried into the full game and then the sequel too and here they are again going by some of the Steam community screenshots.

Still really effective too. :smiley:

EDIT: And yeah Anor Londo.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DXyQDZUX0AAq9ow?format=jpg&name=large

(Since Twitter media doesn’t embed well.)