Assassin's Creed Valhalla

For NVIDIA, AMD doesn’t allow D3D12 overrides for a number of settings or even D3D11 in a few cases deferring to the software to control the behavior outside of OpenGL.

A more forcible implementation wouldn’t be a bad option but their stance is API standards and other than the D3D11 tessellation level override most options comply with that. :smiley:

Don’t think there’s any particular issues either from having both set to enabled or if the game is disabled then for NVIDIA the driver can take priority so it’d still be enabled although throwing in double VSync or triple buffered VSync I’m not sure how that’s handled.
(Probably still overriden pretty sure NVIDIA has settings for these too which likely applies to D3D also.)

Only difference would be if the game tied more settings to the V-Sync toggle than V-Sync alone. E.g. an additional FPS limiter or something.

Unity games are a bit weird in that regard as forcing V-Sync off through the game or NVCP doesn’t always uncap them, but forcing V-Sync off through Special K uncaps them… :expressionless:

1 Like

Who the hell thought these fast travel points in Valhalla were a good idea? They’re the tops of mountains.

• Do you know what’s at the top of a mountain…?
    • Nothing.
  • Do you know where cities are located?
    • Nowhere near mountain peaks.
  • Do you know where you can safely jump off a mountain in Viking times?
    • Me either.

Yeah there was usually a point in most cities you could have your bird spin around over to set up some ancient teleportation system but here it’s one or two remote points in high places most of the time.
(EDIT: Per map region.)

The three main cities (The smaller circled “territories” on the map.) have two or three points each for some reason too but getting around is still quite a bit of work.

Watch_Dogs Legion is somewhat similar too whereas Watch_Dogs 2 let you travel to almost any point of interest and had the map uncovered this time it’s covered in a fog effect and some streets have no points to travel to at all no matter how much driving or map uncovering is done.

Getting the stable up and running and getting the horse upgraded to improve stamina to let it run more than 500 meters helps, leaving the boat and using the horn of instant-raiding on settlements with over-sized loot chests also speeds up having to travel up and down the smaller river sites with your team of footballers.

EDIT: Yeah I maintain Ubisoft based the raiding mechanic on the older style football or mob ball.

Your boys in blue against the defenders in orange as the civilian population shouts and screams in awe as the match spirals out or control entirely although instead of a ball there’s three goals for these ridiculously pompous chests that’d be worth easily 3 - 5x the actual contents worth of supplies if melted down.

Odyssey had problems with people plopping down their photo sessions right on top of the fast travel point too was a real hassle and the toggle was temporary so you couldn’t really set community features to off which was really annoying.

Their own green I think it was tinted concept art photos are pretty neat though and then there’s a bunch of tester UbiTestXXXX type or UbiGuestXXXX type early images but once the servers are more reliable there might be a ton of odd pics on most of the travel points again.
(The one on the start island in Odyssey with the detailed Zeus statue in particular you’d think would have Ubisoft think through that little feature more but nope.)

EDIT: The game also appears to have gone full anachronism on some of the time period objects which happened but not to this extent, not big deal but a few bits shouldn’t be more common until the 1200’s or even the 1400’s if not later not the 900’s ha ha.

Intricate crossbows, massive detailed stone constructions including many finer details and architectural marvels and of course the usual with stylized armor designs though Ubisoft resister throwing horns on all the helmets, barely. :stuck_out_tongue:
(The more you upgrade the item so you can … upgrade the item? … however the more intricate and ornamental it becomes instead of looking like a weapon or armor it looks like a parade piece at the end.)

The proof is in the pudding;

Before a delicious bowl of cereal:

After a delicious bowl of cereal:

This is on a fresh installation of Windows 10 2004 (1 day old), with Low Latency Mode enabled on Ultra.

Appreciate your efforts, Kaldaien.

Nice :slight_smile:
Low latency mode works in dx12?
I thought it didn’t work in dx12 and Vulkan :wink:

The driver hack that calls itself Low Latency? No, that does not work in D3D12/Vulkan, but it is trivial to manipulate the DXGI SwapChain to make it low latency.

Realistically, D3D12 is more tunable. Vulkan has very little room to improve framepacing, which is why I’m happy it doesn’t get used much and the few times that it is used, the developer’s generally competent and doesn’t need framepacing fixes.

1 Like

Thought Vulkan had various presentation modes (The “VSync” support and modes of handling it.) and settings for pre-rendered frames and back buffers too but beyond that I suppose you’d go into the actual swap chain and deeper settings or utilizing either global extensions or having to go by what NVIDIA, AMD, Intel and I think also Google have but some of these might not work on other vendors or even when added as global instruction it drags on for seeing it supported in newer drivers until mandatory whenever a new main Vulkan SDK and version rolls out and the requirements update for what this needs to be certified and validated for.

Takes a while though, Vulkan 1.2.x is still supported and updated with AMD and NVIDIA around 1.2.140.x and various extensions supported or missing still.
(And some wonky driver behavior or misreported support and all that too, sigh.)

EDIT: Hooking into that and manipulating it directly though I’m not so sure on, guessing you’d have the D3D and DXGI platform for Windows DirectX 12 as a possible advantage here for that API comparably.

EDIT: Though I go back and forth reading Vulkan SDK notes, driver changelogs and such info and then lovely lengthy in-depth reports and colorful commentary from Proton and DXVK’s project pages on Github on the nature of the problem with video game ports and mysterious issues and errors that somehow should not exist but continues to do so even years later.

Well that’s a bit of a separate topic from the game here, I have a lot to try and pick up and learn still or at least good as I can which for how complex some of these subjects are is not easy. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think I might be dumb, I’ve been trying to get the standalone version to work from the OP, but everytime I load up the game now I get either a black screen when starting, or occassionally the game will load up until the point where it tells me about autosaves, but never to the main menu.

When it does get to the auto save part, none of the opening videos have sound, which is weird.

As soon as I uninstall, everything works again without an issue.

Sounds like you have some bizarre third-party software that’s not compliant with stuff SK uses.

You’ll have to track down the software.

1 Like

Fixed it, looks like it was due to global injection being on, as it was auto running at startup on my PC.

So I agree with my earlier statement, I was being dumb! :slight_smile:

… okay.

Probably by the end of this week, the test version in this thread will become the officially released version. I have a bit of documentation to re-write and can’t find any solid distraction free time to do that :-\

I really need more patrons and a hired secretary, lol.

Hey Kal, I have for you the following question: how to get the best results with your magic tool at 30 fps? (console experience) I care about the lowest possible input lag (latency) and best frame pacing :wink:

For example, the following values shouldn’t ​​be lower?

PreRenderLimit=7
BackBufferCount=6

Thanks in advance for any advice from you :slight_smile:

Assuming you’re not using a waitable swapchain, you want those to be lower… definitely.

With a waitable swapchain, however, the latency regulates itself. Every couple of frames, the length of the render queue is cut down by 1 frame, so unless you’re stuttering really bad, latency’s about 1-2 frames max.

You benefit from having more backbuffers because for every 3 backbuffers it allows you to render 2x your refresh rate without VSYNC penalties. For whatever reason, NVIDIA’s drivers work best when you’ve got enough backbuffers to draw way faster than your refresh rate, whether you actually draw that fast or not.

Also, for D3D12 games, many developers don’t know this, but you’re expected to have 2 backbuffers per- command queue.

Most of these games ship with only 1 backbuffer per-command queue. So take whatever the game requested, assume the developer never read NVIDIA’s best practices guidelines, and double it. When it works, that fixes a ton of performance problems in D3D12.

2 Likes

I’ve downloaded and extracted the dll and ini file into the game folder. I think It’s working because Vsync is enabled in the benchmark, but the SK overlay is not showing when I use shift+control+backspace. I know It’s there because the mouse arrow shows up in the upper left corner and I can’t use the main menu buttons. The Ubisoft Connect overlay is also disabled when starting the game with SK.
I’ve also disabled fullscreen optimizations if that matters. Game is running in borderless and vsync enabled in both game and nvidia panel.

Any ideas?

SK can only render in DX11 mode. Are you perhaps running the game in DX12?

The game supports only dx12. No way to run it in dx11 that I know of.

SK’s overlay doesn’t work for Dx12 games. SK is used for improved frame-pacing in AC:V

Well that explains it. I get microstutters when using it though. Very noticable when paning the camera sideways. Playing without it, the stutters are gone. Both in borderless and fullscreen.

It used to be the other way around with Origin and Odyssey.